BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN FISHERIES
Bachelor of Science in fisheries is a 4year undergraduate course. This course includes the study of fishes, ecosystem, diseases and their foods, etc. Phonics Group of Institutions is the top private college of B.Sc Fisheries in Roorkee. It is the academic course of managing and understanding the fisheries. It draws on the disciplines of aquaculture like breeding, genetics, farming, nutrition etc. Fishing processing involves curing, canning, freezing, value addition, by-products and waste utilization, quality assurance and certification, fisheries microbiology, fisheries biochemistry. Fisheries microbiology, fisheries resource management include biology, anatomy, taxonomy, physiology, population dynamics. Phonics Group of Institutions is the best college of Bachelor of Science in fisheries in Uttarakhand.
Fisheries environment involves oceanography, limnology, ecology, biodiversity, and aquatic pollution. Fishing technology comprises craft engineering, navigation and seamanship, marine engines. Fisheries economics and management and fisheries extension.
The eligibility for BSc Fisheries is to qualify 10+2 with minimum 50% marks in science stream from a recognized college.
To be a world-class, inclusive, and innovative research, education, and engagement community that promotes leadership in conservation of fisheries and wildlife resources.
To build local, national, and international capacities to conserve ecosystems that support fish, wildlife, and society through integrated programs in research, education, and engagement.
- To impart the knowledge is the basic aim of education. The students are expected to acquire the knowledge of animal science, natural phenomenon, manipulation of nature and environment by man.
- Understanding the scientific terms, concepts, facts, phenomenon and their interrelationships.
- Applications of the knowledge
- To develop skills in practical work, experiments and laboratory materials, instruments
- To develop interest in the subject and scientific hobbies
- To develop scientific attitude which is the major objective, this makes the students open minded, critical observations, curiosity, thinking etc.
- Abilities to apply scientific methods, collection of scientific data, problem solving, organize science exhibitions, clubs etc.
- Appreciation of the subject, contribution of the scientists, scientific methods, scientific programmes etc.
- The students can setup cold water fisheries, fish farm and hatchery.
- The student gain knowledge of fish nutrition, methods of determining the food of fishes.
- Students should understand the functional an anatomy of: different system of bivalve.
- The students gain knowledge of Systematic position, Habits and habitat, External morphology of bivalve.
At the end of the program, the students will be able to
- The students will be able to learn about the basics of Taxonomy of fresh water and marine water fishes starting from lower tropnic level organisms to higher trophic level organisms. Also will be able select the species which are feasible for fresh water brackish water and coastal water aquaculture.
- Gain knowledge about the taxonomy of marine organisms by using the conventional method and advanced level of molecular methods and characteristic features of soil and water quality.
- The biology of aquatic organisms will be fully understood by the students and capable of distinguishing the biology of each group of organisms and the statistical approach of fishery science will be applied.
- The importance of microbes in the environment and their specific role in the ecosystem; classification will be understood and application of information technology in fishery science will be illustrated.
- The knowledge on finfish and shell fish taxonomy will be imbibed to the students and all features of limnology and marine biology will also be imparted.
- The basic principles of nutritional biology in finfish and shellfish will be gained by the students and the biochemical aspects of essential proximate composition will also be imparted.
- The efficacy and proper use of culture of marine and fresh water organisms, utilization of marine resources to make as an entrepreneur and national & international level researcher. Aquaculture practice will be taught with structural and mechanical engineering etc.